Friday, May 11, 2012

Two weeks later: ups & downs

Well, my stay in Chicago did not go as planned. I only had a few times I could go for a ride and it was raining for all of them, so I didn't get out on the road for essentially a week (including the two days drive back to Denver). This was a crucial time for me in terms of my training: I have always been pretty good about keeping on with something once I am in the swing of it, but I have been known to slide if there was a reason for taking a break (related to "projects" like jogging or dieting). So, having been off for a week, I was concerned that I get right back into the saddle to catch up on my training.

Luckily the weather was good and the spirit willing, so I did three mornings in a row of my standard 25 mile ride around the reservoir, and then planned a good long bike on the Saturday. Saturday dawned sunny and cool and off I went down the Cherry Creek trail in the opposite direction I usually go, towards the center of Denver. I left at 7:30 so while there were people out, not a huge number.

After about six miles I got to Confluence Park, where Cherry Creek runs into the Platte, and turned south on the Platte River trail. On this trail you go past an amusement park, the Bronco's football stadium (whatever it is called now), then through an industrial section, until after about 9 miles you get to where Beer Creek comes in from the foothills.

Turning east, I went up Bear Creek, through some development, then open spaces, then more development, to a golf course, at which point there is a good climb up the Bear Creek Reservoir dam.
Nice trail, though a bit chopped up in places, and you do get closer and closer to the foothills, which is fun. Eventually, I turned north along the foothills, with some fairly good climbing, riding along the Route 470 trail. By then, I had gone about 30 some miles, including the climb on Bear Creek. By then the sun was strong and hot, so I was getting a bit tired, but eventually, I started start downhill into Golden.

In Golden, you are about 20 miles west of Denver, which you can see in the picture above, and this is where Clear Creek comes out of the foothills and starts its way towards the Platte. Picking up the Clear Creek bike trail near the Coors brewery, I started east. The trail goes down hill on the whole, but still with the heat of the day I was definitely feeling a bit tired.

Arriving at the Platte, I turned south towards home. It is fun to see Denver in the distance and then growing bigger. The Platte River trail is not nearly as shaded as the Bear Creek, Clear Creek or Cherry Creek trails, but it still is a good trail. I was now going uphill a bit and definitely needed a breather when I got into town.

At Confluence Park, I turned west again to head up Cherry Creek trail. Though the slope is quite gradual, I definitely noticed the difference from the morning when I was heading downhill (not to mention that I had by then ridden 60 miles in the sun & heat). I went fairly slowly and got back to the house just after noon. A total trip of 66 miles in 1:45, including some good, but not huge hills.

I had been concerned about getting back into the training and getting back into shape after my hiatus, so I was pretty pleased with the ride. This week I was able to ride from Sunday through Thursday every day except Monday. Today was rainy, so I took a breather, but tomorrow I plan another go at the 70 miles loop down down to Chatfield Reservoir, with the serious climb up Deer Creek Canyon. It is supposed to be cloudy with some rain, but I hope it won't stop my ride. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment