Monday, May 14, 2012

We having fun yet?

What a beautiful day and a good ride today, but am I having fun? That is what someone asked me, "Do you enjoy the biking?" Well, I love to bike or I wouldn't have started this, but am I enjoying the training? If I was going to be enjoying it, today would have been the day, as the weather is spectacular and I had a very good training ride. I did the "Loopty Loop" (where I got out to the Cherry Creek reservoir, around it and then back the same way, returning from there--this adds about 5 miles to my usual loop) and pushed the entire 30 miles. Averaged almost 16 miles an hour and felt good the whole way. I certainly took pleasure in completing the route in good time and in good form. Did I enjoy it, I think so, but I was so focused on continuing to push that it was hard to tell.

As I said in my first blog, one of my two main goals for RTR is to enjoy the trip, so I am planning not to push myself on the actual event. I want to complete it (and live!) and not take too long, but I plan to make sure I enjoy the trip itself by allowing myself to cruise and look at the scenery or stop and relax along the way. I do think I am, in one sense, enjoying the training, but it is mostly the accomplishment, and I want more than that for the actual RTR. We'll see...

The last two days were good training as well. Saturday I was able to do the 70 miles trip to Chatfield, then up the Deer Creek Canyon hill, and back. As I mentioned last time I did that trip, I figure that is a good test, as it is close to the average distance of RTR and includes a 10 mile uphill stretch in the middle. I know that the days on RTR will be longer and there will be more hills, not just the one, but still to do it by 1:00 pm in the day without much of a break I think is a good indication that I am at least in reasonable shape.

Sunday we went up to Summit County and Lindsey and I did the Lake Dillon loop, including the Swan Mountain Road hill. Unfortunately, it was cold and while going up the hill we got into a snow storm! Still, we did it and it was at least not a wasted day towards my training. The rest of this week should be good for that, as the weather should be good. I hope to get out every day for at least 25 miles...

No comments:

Post a Comment