Thursday, April 5, 2012

A good week & the mountains loom

Despite some inclement weather (mostly it has been in the 60s & 70s and very sunny), I have had a good week of biking. The "goal" this week is to have done 80 miles and I have already done 115 with 25 more for tomorrow morning.

I was able to go off on a long but fun ride on Saturday of 65 miles, almost all on bike paths. Rode down Cherry Creek trail to Confluence Park, then 8 miles down the South Platte to Bear Creek. Turned west up Bear Creek, riding right up into the foothills and across to Golden, from whence I turned back east along Clear Creek trail until it flowed into the Platte north of Denver. South down the trail to Confluence and then back home. I managed this in 5 hours and though tired at the end, I really enjoyed it. The next day, Lindsey & I did the standard 25 miles loop around Cherry Creek reservoir, which I did again yesterday afternoon.

I have felt pretty good on these rides and on yesterday's loop I went pretty much as fast as I thought I could maintain, making the trip in about 1 hour and 35 mins. So I am feeling good about building up the muscles (and seat!), but now I have to start looking to the mountains...

Which comes this Saturday. We are heading up to Dillon where I plan to do the 17 mile loop around the Dillon reservoir, which includes a steep, 2 mile ride up on Swan Mtn. Road. Last year I did it once and had to stop twice. It wasn't the muscles, but my wind. I just couldn't breath. I have been doing a fair bit of hills, but not at that altitude (Dillon is about 9,100').

So, I am a bit apprehensive to see how I do on Saturday. I plan not to be as cocky this time (last year, I went charging up it, assuming it wouldn't be a problem). This will be a good test to see how much work I still need as all the rides for Ride the Rockies are between about 7,000 and 12,000. We'll see....

No comments:

Post a Comment